Elizabeth Banks by Hairstylist Matthew Monzon
About: “Elizabeth wore an amazing Versace gold chain dress with a custom pair of Brian Atwood Shoes (her date). With the drama of the outfit, we didn’t want her hair to be too insane, so we tried to downplay it a little bit, but keep the punk effect. We came up with a cool, sleek ponytail that had a sculptural effect when fused to the head with barrettes in the back.“ — Monzon
How To Get The Look:
- Spray a generous amount of Davines Melu Shied ($31.50/davines.com) onto damp hair. Follow by putting a healthy amount of Davines For Wizards No 3 Universal Mattering Mousse ($26/barneys.com) throughout the hair along with a few pumps of Davines OI/OIL ($39.50/davines.com) on the ends.
- Blow dry with a big paddle brush to try to maintain the sleek straightness, avoiding any “bend.” Add extensions, when desired.
- Create a masculine, sleek square look in the front. Once the squareness is established, pull hair into a ponytail at the crown of the head. Do this by first focusing on pulling hair from the nape, then the sides, and lastly the top. Secure with a bungee band and take a 1/4 inch of hair and wrap it around to hide the band.
- Use 3x 2 1/2 inch goody barrettes and secure the ponytail at the nape of the neck, holding the ponytail to the head, which gives a good, strong structural shape.
Miranda Kerr by Hairstylist David Keough
About: Miranda wore Michael Kors and attended with her partner. “The whole theme is modern punk. Miranda loves signature style of glamorous, so we stayed along those lines, but infused some rocker by adding two braids on the side, which wrapped around and tucked underneath the nape of the neck.” — Keough
How To Get The Look:
- While hair is wet, create a deep side part. Use Davines For Wizards No. 8 Quick Setting Hard Gel ($22/barneys.com) throughout the hair to create a solid hold.
- On the side opposite the direction of the part, create 2 sections and french braid each section parallel to one another, wrapping them down around the head. Tapering down to the nape, tie them off and tuck them under the rest of the hair.
- Apply quite a bit of the gel mixed with the Davines For Wizards No 3 Universal Mattering Mousse ($26/barneys.com) throughout the rest of the hair as it creates longevity for keeping the looks. (Mixing the products is a trick Keough likes to use.) Layer with Davines OI/OIL for ultimate shine ($39.50/davines.com)
- With the remaining unbraided hair, blow dry with a round brush.
- Using a 1-inch curling iron, separate and curl large sections. Pin them up and let hair cool down, while makeup gets done.
- Pull the hair out and spray roots with a bit of Davines For Wizards No. 14 Sea Salt Primer ($26/davines.com), for a bit of lift and blow dry a touch.
- Finish off with Davines Defining Invisible Hair Spray ($26/davines.com) to lock the look in.
What's Your Reaction?
Our staff is committed to showcasing authors who care about diversity throughout the U.S and abroad. We hope you enjoy our literary offerings, and we welcome your requests and comments. Enjoy!