We are T minus one day and some change from celebrating Thanksgiving Day. And while all of America is making plans about with whom and where to celebrate, the sales floor or every retailer is about to get flooded with budget-conscious shoppers trying to get their doorbusters worth of holiday shopping. Or will it be a vacant scene? Will retail workers finally have a day to rest with friends and family, and possibly get a second helping of pumpkin pie?
Turn on the news, scroll through your Facebook feed, and hashtag trending stories on Twitter… and you’ll find many retailers with extended Black Friday hours that run through the better part of the week while a surprising handful of stores have chosen to close its doors on Thanksgiving day. In an effort to display support to its employees, these retailers have made the brave statement to acknowledge that the bottom line can (hopefully) be achieved while offering its staff their due time with a better quality of life this holiday.
Currently, the list below includes stores that have announced they will be closed on Thanksgiving Day.
American Girl Store
Babies “R” Us
Barnes & Noble
Bed, Bath & Beyond
Crate & Barrel
Pier 1 Imports
Sur La Table
With the exception of REI, all of the mentioned stores will reopen on Black Friday and all will be open online on Thanksgiving Day.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
What's Your Reaction?
Gigi Smith is the chief editor of DC Life Magazine, a publication specializing in cultural diversity for social change in the nation's capital.