10 Tips for Meeting Your Match at the Gym The New Year is upon us and with it comes New Year’s resolutions. More people frequent the gym in January than during any other month.
The New Year is upon us and with it comes New Year’s resolutions. More people frequent the gym in January than during any other month.
Here are 10 tips for singles who will be hitting the gym in January:
1. Don’t wear earphones. If you tune in to music on your iPod or watch TV while on the elliptical, you’re tuning out everyone around you. People who wear earphones are not approachable. Take them off!
2. Ladies – ask a man to spot you. You’ll find a higher ratio of men in the free weights area. If you see someone you’re interested in, smile and ask him to be your spotter.
3. Ask for help with a lifting technique. If you aren’t sure how to use a specific machine or how to do an exercise (or even if you are), go ahead and ask for a little help.
4. Make friends with a staff member and ask him or her to introduce you to the object of your affection.
5. SMILE. People are much more likely to start conversations with those who are friendly and warm. Smiling makes you approachable, and that can make all the difference.
6. Introduce yourself. No – you are not going to spontaneously combust if you approach a stranger to introduce yourself. And yes, it’s okay to make the first move. Just say “Hello, my name is __________”, and see what happens. This may be hard at first, but practice makes perfect. Just do it.
7. Take a class. Some gyms have classes that are fairly small so going regularly can set the stage for easy conversation. If you like spinning and there is someone you’re interested in, grab the nearest bike. If you take yoga, get there early and position your mat accordingly. Proximity makes conversations easier.
8. Ladies, do not show cleavage or put on tons of make-up when you head to the gym. First and foremost, you’re there to workout.
9. Guys, don’t stare at a woman or follow her around without introducing yourself. There is nothing worse than a lurker who doesn’t have the courage to say hello. Introduce yourself and see what happens. Confidence is just plain sexy.
10. Wear a good deodorant and bring a towel. Need I say more?
Michelle Jacoby is a matchmaker, dating and relationship coach and the owner of DC Matchmaking, a boutique matchmaking company for commitment-minded singles in Washington, DC, MD and VA. Michelle has gained national recognition and was awarded finalist for best matchmaker in the US at the 2011 iDate Awards and was a speaker at the 2010 National Matchmaking Conference. Michelle will be a featured presenter at the 2012 iDate Matchmaking Conference in Miami. She has appeared in The Washington Post, The Northwest and Georgetown Currents, The Washington Examiner, Bethesda Magazine, WUSA Channel 9, News Channel 8 – Let’s Talk Live and NBC Washington. Her articles have been featured in Your Tango, EHarmony Advice, Alexandria Woman, Fairfax Woman, and Southern Maryland Women Magazines.
Website: www.dcmatchmaking.com, Twitter @DCMatchmaking
What's Your Reaction?
Our staff is committed to showcasing authors who care about diversity throughout the U.S and abroad. We hope you enjoy our literary offerings, and we welcome your requests and comments. Enjoy!